Tuesday, March 06, 2012

I am not observing Lent

I grew up in a Baptist church and I currently am going to a Baptist church but until I moved to Arizona I don't think I had ever heard of Lent. I didn't know what Ash Wednesday was until I went to college. Then I would see a few of the girls at the sorority house come in on a wednesday and have ash all over their forhead. When I moved to Arizona, I heard friends talking about giving up stuff- chocolate, soda, dessert, etc for Lent. So I thought it was just a Catholic holiday until I learned that Methodists and some Lutherans were observing Lent.


A few years ago, I had a conversation with my cousin about Lent and the real meaning behind it. Lent isn't to just give up something but to add something to your life and to focus on God during that time and hopefully it would become a permant part of your life. Not just something you did prior to Easter. A few of my friends this year are giving up sweets, soda or focusing on verses during Lent.


I am still a Baptist and we don't as a church practice Lent but I have been thinking about it for the past few weeks and although I am not doing it for Lent, I am trying to release the hold chocolate- specifically candy- has on me. I am a self- admitted sweets eater. I love my candy and especially chocolate. I eat if I get bad news, I eat it if I get good news or I am bored or I am driving and just want it. It has gotten to the point that I would pick bathroom stops along my travels based on what candy bar options I had.


Before Lent, I was reading a friends blog about how she was going to give up sweets and eating out because they had become a god in her life. It got me thinking that instead of turning to chocolate for good/bad news or because of boredom maybe I should shift that focus to God.


So I am working on not eating chocolate until Easter and instead trying to focus on God. I haven't eaten any and I do more time in prayer or working on my Bible study. Don't get me wrong, I still want chocolate and I catch myself reaching for that Symphony bar or Dove bar or my favorite Easter candy- Cadbury mini chocalate eggs. I am not giving up my chocolate forever but I am trying to learn new, healthier eating habits. Now I pack snacks or reach for veggies instead of candy.


I am trying to be a better steward of the body God gave me and live a longer and healther life. So I am not participating in Lent but I am trying to focus not on instant gratification (even if it is for a split second) and focus on the bigger picture. I will still struggle and there may be bad days but if I can accomplish this small task, I may be one step closer to conquering my food addition issues.

No comments: