Thursday, May 24, 2012

Things that make you go hmmmm?

With as many miles as I travel in the month I have to find humor along the road. So here are just a couple things that have made me smile because either they are just funny or they are a little ironic.

In Gila Bend there is a business that allows you to accomplish a couple different items on your to do list if by chance you need to order and pick up your meat from the butcher and cash your check. I am all for diversifying your operation. I see it all the time in agriculture, the cattle market is a little low so you supplement your income by selling wood, lumber, hunting rights, hay, or maybe becoming an distributor for circle pivots or something. Maybe you start raising pumpkins and doing corn mazes in the fall to pick up some extra money to keep your farm or ranch afloat. I'm not judging, I've been there but this one just made me smile... a lot.


Another thing that I have found ironic... Union Pacific. In my travels to Cochise, Pima, Pinal and Yuma  counties I spend a lot of time (mostly to Yuma) traveling next to the rail line. Has anyone ever noticed the types of containers the railroad hauls along the tracks. The rail line that I drive has several hundred trains a day coming and going from California (the shipyards) to all parts of the US. Here's what I am talking about.

There are a ton of containers that are stamped on the side "China Shipping." I know, everything comes from China but the ironic part is that the Union Pacific locomotives pulling these long trains have "Building America" painted on the side between the flag and their logo. So we are building America, one hundred China shipping containers at a time.

The last one that I always get a smile out of is when the highway department puts out the signs about fresh oil and no line markings to warn drivers but don't take down their signs after they have finished striping the roads.

Just some random thoughts about things I find interesting from the road.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So fun!