Wednesday, March 12, 2014

We all have a Sheldon Cooper


Big Bang Theory is one of my favorite shows. Not because it’s about a bunch of scientist who think religion is crazy (just ask one of the characters) but because it’s about a group of friends and their how they hang out. It was my replacement for Friends. And instead of NYC it’s LA and instead of a coffee shop it’s a comic book store or the college cafeteria. They made being a nerd cool.

I was thinking of Sheldon Cooper today and usually every time I come back from Pinal County’s meeting. I pass a sign for the Arizona Train Museum and every time I think Sheldon should come for a visit. He might like it; and we have a Cheesecake factory too. But today I started thinking about the other characters and then friends in real life. If you watch the show at all you know the characters- they are all PhD’s in science except for Walowitz, who only has a Masters and Penny- the girl who moved from small town Nebraska to become an actress. They use big terms when talking about science and Sheldon’s character is a know-it all that is also a control freak. I have one of those in my life. And God used him to reveal a lesson to me today.  The lesson was not to categorize someone until you really know them.

I have a Sheldon Cooper in my life and I've decided to keep him. I named him that because he goes to the same WW class as me and he was an expert of everything (or at least appeared to be). He drove my friends and I crazy till we gave him that nickname. But just like the character has grown on his roommate and the other friends, my Sheldon has grown on me. And I didn't realize it till today. My Sheldon always has to be in line first, it doesn't matter how early you get there, he’s there first waiting for the door to open. He still tells us what we should do or not do but here’s the kicker- I like him and it’s fun chatting with him because he volunteered to tell another group of ladies that they couldn't have our seats. WW is like church, you sit in the same spot and when new people take your spot (which normally doesn't happen if you sit in the front- they are just special) it can be disrupting and throw off your entire week. So each week for my friend S and I it has become a race to beat these three ladies to those chairs. And each week Sheldon and his wife (I dubbed her Amy Farrah Fowler because you just have to) are there to give us insight and advice even if we haven’t asked for it but just like the saved spot on the couch, I've come to accept him and all his quirks because he doesn't judge or do anything but invite you in. And I’m sure if we weren't at the WW meeting and trying to lose weight he would offer you a warm beverage.

We all have Sheldons, Leonards, Walowitzes and Koothrappalis in our lives and collectively they make us better. We have those who drive us crazy and know facts and are control freaks. We have friends who bring groups together and are the cool ones. We have the creepy-kind that say inappropriate things but make us laugh and we have the ones that are so shy but are all kinds of funny when they open up. And in reality I can see a little bit of all the characters in me based on what group of friends I am with. Because we are all on a journey together and we support, drive each other crazy and encourage each other but we have each other’s backs and we are honest with each other so next Saturday, I’m looking forward to my morning greeting with my friend Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler!


No comments: