Sunday, February 19, 2012

Giver's Remorse

My Bible Study has been going through Andy Stanley's Enemy of the Heart. It works on various issues - anger, guilt, jealousy and greed. I admit it, I struggle with all of those and each week I would think that topic was the one I was suppose to focus on and work on improving until the next week when I would have the same thought.




A couple weeks ago the topic was on greed. I shared with my group that I am a greedy person in the normal ways, I don't really like to share my things or my food. If we go to a restaurant don't expect me to share my food. If you want what I have then you need to order it.




Some of my friends may say that I am a giving person. I don't mind giving my time or efforts or even things- books, games, clothes and other stuff to people who need to borrow it or even keep it. I am fine with giving my stuff away but sometimes I have giver's remorse.




Giver's remorse is like buyer's remorse but I regret giving somethings away but I would never ask for it back. It could be shoes or a shirt that would go perfect with the outfit I am trying to put together but I gave it away so I regret giving the item away and sometimes if I see it again if a friend is wearing it or in their house.




I know it's wrong. I have more than enough clothes to wear and I have been blessed with what I have. Not having the right shoes or the book I want to read again because I gave them away is silly but I wonder how many of us struggle with greed like this.

No comments: