Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Truths

My last post was about what I was struggling with but since youth camp it's been interesting because the theme seemed to be about finding our worth and identity in God and not what we or society tells us. Don't get me wrong I love my runner's high (and even broke through a wall and was able to run 4 miles without stopping) but there are lies the voice in your head tells you.

While at camp I was also doing my Beth Moore's James Bible Study. Let me tell you each of her studies kicks my butt and challenges me but this one I think Beth Moore discovered my dad's size 15 shoe because I've learned more in the last five weeks that I didn't realize  I needed to learn. It came at the right time (God's timing is perfect) because we started the study shortly after my trip to Oregon and camp complimented the topic. But here's the other challenge that I encountered at camp.

I was having a discussion about my study on James with our youth pastor and another counselor and I talked about the levels of commitment you can have with the study. I had chosen to do level four which was watch the video, do the weekly study, write out the book of James and do the extra reading included. The next and final step was to memorize the book. Let me run that by you again- memorize the whole book, not just a few verses or a chapter but all four chapters. Josh (our youth pastor) asked why I wasn't memorizing it. I gave him every excuse- I don't have time, I have a bad memory (I had hard enough time remembering all the girls names that came with us- there were 11 girls), I'm head is already full of random agricultural facts. And each time I said something  he gave it back to me and pointed out that we normally use less than 20 percent of our brains. SO with no excuses I agreed. And even though we are out three weeks from camp, I am up to James 1:17. It may take me awhile (at 3-5 verses a week) but I will eventually finish.

I share that with you because I have been repeating all the verses over and over several times a day, even going to sleep running them through my head and waking up with them. I think I may have even scared some new neighbors because I ran last week without my IPOD for music so to keep my mind off running I repeated the first 15 verses several times out loud along my run. I got a few strange looks but something I noticed is that I'm happier and more content with who I am because those verses are great and I've been soaking them in. I am looking forward to soaking in the rest of the book and seeing what God has planned for the rest of my life and discovering more truths about who I really am.

No comments: